Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sticks and Stones

Last Thursday I wrote: "As children we were told; sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me. As adults we know little else can hurt us more."

In elementary and high school I was the popular kid. Played sports, dated the best looking girls. I say that for one reason only--I was STILL as insecure a person as you would ever want to meet. Every slight a scar. Every opinion from Mount Sinai. Every event a crisis. I was told early and often; don't be so hard on yourself. But I knew if I let up even for a minute I would become more exposed, more vulnerable, more susceptible.

I want you to meet Shane Koyczan. He is going to share what it was like from the other end of the spectrum. Shane is far braver than I will ever be. He has overcome far more than I ever will. But we were never as different as appearances seemed...

http://www.ted.com/talks/shane_koyczan_to_this_day_for_the_bullied_and_beautiful.html

If you wish to teach your children, nephews, nieces or grandchildren some genuine values through  storytelling, please consider purchasing my book, "The Last Enchanted Forest." It is available in e-book form and can be found by hitting the BOOK tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments anyone?