Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Blind Pig

There is an adage in America (and perhaps your country as well) of a "blind pig finding an acorn." So it is with me. I have blindly stumbled upon the correction to the problem I am sure, in some fashion, I created. Regardless, this last week has been eventful, and the ability to post if I desire is once again an option. Other than driving Gwenn to distraction, no persons have been harmed in the solution to this problem.

One of the books I am currently reading is Walker Percy's "Lost in the Cosmos." In it he poses the following question; which of these two sentences more nearly describes you? a) You are extraordinarily generous, ecstatically loving of the right person, supremely knowledgeable about what is wrong with the country, about people, capable of moments of insight unsurpassed by any scientist or artist or writer in the country. You possess an infinite potentiality. OR b) You are of all people in the world probably the most selfish, hateful, envious, the most treacherous, the most frightened, and above all, the phoniest.

He asks that you answer as honestly as you can which of the two sentences more nearly describes you: 1) a 2) b 3) neither 4) both. What is interesting about this is that 60% of people answer "both." (I proceeded to pose the question to the next friend I talked to and before I could even supply the four possible answers, he had responded "both.") If you answered as the majority answered, Walker asks; "how can this be?"


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUtH0DDJorM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments anyone?